Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Holy Bible


The Holy Bible

 

            The most recent piece of literature we read in Mosaics was The Holy Bible, book of Genesis. Now let me give you some background on myself, I am a catholic and my Dad is in the process of becoming a deacon in the Catholic Church soooooo you might say that religion plays a big part in my family. That being said I have never actually read the bible. Yes I’ve heard readings during the mass but I have never taken the time to sit down and read it.

            I really enjoyed reading the bible, because I read it in a story sense. I read it just as one would read the Epic of Gilgamesh, as a narrative with characters and fictional elements. Now the word I just used is important fictional. I’m not trying to go against my religion, but a lot of people point out flaws in the book of genesis. I think you have to read it like a narrative story and take lessons from it instead of directly interpreting it. If you were to directly interpret it you would see a lot of deceit, a lot of cruelness from God and other things that aren’t so pleasing.

            Here is an example of the interpretation I do. The story of Adam and Eve is scientifically untrue. Humans were not placed on the Earth at the same time as all the animals and the fish and the birds. Science and evolution shows us that the dinosaurs were here first and man evolved into what it is today. The story of Adam and Eve should not be taken literally but through interpretation. Humans have knowledge that God gave us that he did not give any other animal. God made humans different; we see nakedness unlike all other animals. Adam and Eve is a story to show us that no human is perfect and we are all born with original sin. We are born into God’s world knowing that we’re going to mess up and that it is ok.

            I’m stopping myself there I think I’m sounding way too religious. I am sorry for that. I really enjoyed reading Genesis though and it makes me realize that I’m following a religion I don’t even know that much about. The bible is giant!!! I find it very fascinating that Temple requires us to read the bible. My hypothesis as to why that is, is similar to most of the other books we have read. Throughout life you are going to have to be knowledgeable of certain texts, such as Freud, and Socrates, and the Bible is one of the most referenced books in politics, and school. To have some sort of base knowledge on the bible is very beneficial towards any career. Also it is important to have a basic knowledge on the bible to have a better understanding of religions. Judaism, Christianity and Islam all accept the book of Genesis. Although these religions are all different it can show us that there is a unity between them and can help bring a sense of understanding to those of different cultures and religions.

1 comment:

  1. I like your post because I did the same thing, I read the Bible as a story too. And you're right about how you can't take it literally or else you'll miss the point. I think this post would be helpful for someone who criticizes the Bible for being outdated. Of course it is, but if someone reads it as a narrative as you said they'd understand it better.

    ReplyDelete